Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sukiya Restaurant

Sukiya restaurant chain offers a broad range of donburi menu items, making it an informal, inexpensive dining option. Donburi refers to a bowl of rice with some other food served on top of it. Gyudon (beef bowl) consists of beef and onion served over a bowl of rice. The meat and onion are cooked in a mixture of soy sauce, mirin, sugar and sake giving the dish a sweet, salty flavor.

Misawa’s Sukiya on Falcon Road is one of the few drive through restaurants in town. I’ll have to check its operation hours the next time I go. They also offer a breakfast menu, which is not available for take-out.

Kyle usually opts for a large gyudon, no onions (tamanegi o nuki de onegaishimasu) and spice level one, whereas I order the medium yakitori bowl with a side of kimchi. One of the drawbacks to ordering chicken meals in Japan is that it still contains skin. On that note, even though I’m not the healthiest of eaters, I’m not a huge fan of the gyudon because the beef is slightly marbled and I find myself picking out tidbits of fat.

The menu I’ve posted was picked up August 2010. While their staple dishes are gyudon, curry, and yakitori, they often have special limited-time menu items.

Click on the image for a larger view.


No comments:

Post a Comment