Sunday, October 10, 2010

Aomori Museum of Art and ELM Mall

Sunday, October 10

Hayao Miyazaki Advert

It’s a pity I live in a country where I cannot read the official language, because if I could, I would have saved my family time and money (¥2400 entrance for two adults, not to mention petro fuel and over ¥2000 in road tolls). Having been to the Ghibri Museum in Tokyo, I WAS initially excited when I picked up the advert for Hayao Miyazaki’s limited-run exhibition at Aomori Museum of Art. I thought they would have a more diverse, kid-friendly, collection borrowed from the museum – sculptures, cell art, etc. While the hundreds of sketches were impressive, after a few minutes, I found myself bored looking into a sea of drawings that blended together. Unlike the robot exhibit, my toddler son paid little attention to the exhibit. Perhaps the most exciting aspect for him was posing with the Tottoro floor image. Museum visitors can draw an image onto stickers and place them on a wall of a special room.

Posing with the Ponyo backdrop
Decorated elevators, Tottoro
Decorated elevators, Spirited Away
Decorated elevators, Kiki's Delivery Service
Stickers drawn by me
Jumping to ensure proper placement


Starbucks in Aomori Prefecture

After the museum, we decided to take a side trip to the ELM Mall in Goshogowara City. To our surprise, Starbucks, I think the only one in Aomori prefecture, existed there. My husband patiently waited in line almost 30 minutes to purchase his coffees and desserts. Before heading back home, the line was considerably shorter, and he purchased more coffee for the road.

ELM Mall in Goshogawara City
ELM Shops, 1st floor
ELM Shops, 2nd floor

No comments:

Post a Comment