Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finally Catching Up


Let’s see, my last entry was over two months ago. I think I was a bit delusional to believe I would keep up with a blog. I do have a lot to say, but making the computer time cuts into my cooking, cleaning, taking care of children, and on-line comparison shopping. I’ve become somewhat obsessed with purchasing DVDs for Camren . Free program is extremely limited here and reminiscent of the pre-cable, network days. Had I known how often shows would repeat on the ONE military-sponsored, English, family channel, I would have purchased more used DVDs before leaving San Diego.

Inclement weather ranges from several non-stop rainy days, to heat, and humidity. We subsist on oscillating fans and have refrained from using our air conditioners. Now that we’re a single-income family, we need to be a tad parsimonious. It also stems in my stubbornness that prevents me from turning on AC. After all, I survived for three years in Kisarazu (which was more humid) without AC, so in theory, I should be able to tolerate being sweaty in Misawa.

Anyway, I try to keep our family busy on weekends by exploring Misawa and its surroundings. Sometimes I get into that “been there, done that” mentality and forget this (Japan) is all new for Kyle.

Saturday, June 19, 2010: Misawa International Association BBQ
Kyle and I decided, as advertised on a flyer, “to make new friends and find language/cultural partners and enjoy talking to new friends with delicious food.” Basically we spent 4,000 yen to sit at a table by ourselves, talk with each other, take turns chasing down Camren, and eat international food (American: salad, cookies, chips, BBQ beef and chicken; Japanese: yakisoba, yakitori, and sausages … really international). It was what I expected. Let’s face it, anyone who KNOWS me, knows I’m just not a social butterfly. Except for the Chinese guy who moved between tables, it appeared that attendees already knew each other.

As we were about to leave, something was announced and children started lining up. It wasn’t pin-the-tail on the donkey; it was smash the watermelon, the culminating activity for the BBQ.



Sunday, June 27, 2010: We’re on the Road to Nowhere
Sometimes it’s nice to not have an agenda for the day. Kyle and I decided to explore the back roads to Shimoda Mall.


Gojira (Godzilla) attacks car dealership
This is a local car dealership near our home. I don’t know why Godzilla was visiting, but I haven’t seen it since.


Japanese Day Care
I’m eventually going to have a photo compilation of different day care buildings, buses, and playgrounds I encounter because they look so welcoming for children. Notice that the building is painted like an elephant.

My oh my, Minis
Foreign cars in Japan always catch my attention, especially when they’re in the middle of nowhere.

Car seat I saw at a department store
Japan is the land of CUTE!! Rough conversion, Japanese Yen 39,800 = US $400
















No comments:

Post a Comment