Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tanabata Festival: Misawa City


Friday, July 23: Misawa Tanabata Festival

The largest Tananbata festival is held in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture. I’d eventually like to go there and see it when Talia can walk and when we won’t have to carry so much food for both children. But for now, Misawa will do.

The family and I went on Friday night. We initially wanted to wait until Saturday or Sunday, but there was a chance of rain so we decided not to put it off. I was quite glad that we went to the Hachinohe Tanabata Festival the week prior. Misawa is a smaller city so the festival and its decorations, though interesting, reflected it. We did appreciate meandering through the streets during nighttime because the weather was cooler. Japanese summers are so humid.

I enjoy going to street fairs for people watching. It takes a lot of patience and restraint on my part to maneuver the stroller through crowds of people. Attendees walked around with food on (sharp) sticks or smoked cigarettes, so I’m always weary of getting into a scuffle if someone pokes or burns me or my children. I’m not as adventurous anymore and am less likely to try street food because I think about how long the food has been out, cooking cleanliness, etc. I know, such a damper, but I despise getting food poisoning – and I’ve had my fair share of that. I do have my favorites, usually some type of desserts, but avoided purchasing anything.

We arrived early and left early, another indication of a family with youngsters and getting older. The Misawa Tanabata Festival, like many other Misawa festivals, took place outside the main base entrance, contained music on a stage in American Park, and extended along White Pole Road.


Tanabata lights

Hmm ... Is this what they think of the USA/Americans

Typical street stall selling seafood and veggies

Takoyaki (octopus and veggies cooked into spheres)

Overpriced light toys

Kingyo-suki (goldfish dipping)
Object of the game: catch a goldfish without breaking the thin paper spoon

Local high school girls dressed for festival

Young girls dressed in traditional yukatas

No comments:

Post a Comment